Who is it for?
The VisitBritain Product Development & Distribution team’s role is to work alongside the UK tourism industry and international trade to create a range of world-class bookable product through themes and across regions to attract tourists to the Britain.
Based on research and insights, the 2017-18 product development strategy focuses on five areas:
- Discover England Fund
- Food & Drink
We are seeking tourism providers, intermediaries (online and offline) and Destination Management Companies for development and distribution opportunities related to these areas, as outlined below.
Free of charge
For more information, to register interest, and for any queries regarding product development and distribution please contact:
Suzy Faulkner – Head of Product Development & Distribution
+44 (0)20 7578 1185
Discover England Fund
A three-year £40million Discover England fund, announced by Government in 2015, will ensure that England stays competitive in the rapidly growing global tourism industry, by offering world-class English tourism products to the right customers at the right time. The fund specifically supports projects that address the challengers of regional spread, ease of access and connectivity across Britain, ‘off-the shelf’ packaging of product and digital distribution. The funding available is staged over the three years as follows: Year 1 (2016/17): £6.5 million Year 2 (2017/18): £11.5 million Year 3 (2018/19): £22.0 million and details of the 21 successful projects from Year 1 (2016/17) can be found here (link to DEF microsite).
- Product Development: Applications for funding are now closed.
- Distribution: We are seeking intermediaries (online and offline) and Destination Management Companies (DMCs) who are interested in contracting the new products from the Discover England Fund .
Food and Drink
A three-year cross-government initiative between VisitBritain and the Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs (DEFRA) to raise awareness of Britain’s high quality food and drink tourism experiences in selected food hubs. Year 1 ‘s food hubs are London, Devon & Cornwall, Yorkshire and Scotland with a view to scale up across all regions of Britain. Each food hub will have supporting tourism infrastructure of good connectivity (rail/air/road), variety of good quality accommodation, flagship tourist attractions and set in an appealing landscape (urban, rural or coastal). It will offer to international tourists immersive food experiences (e.g. cheese/wine tasting), gourmet dining, traditional British dining experiences, food and drink events and the opportunity to buy local produce. Working with the local businesses in each food hub VisitBritain are creating a number of bookable itineraries incorporating both flagship attractions alongside food experiences.
- Product Development: We are seeking businesses in our current hubs, and other areas of Britain, who offer bookable food experiences and are interested in increasing international tourists.
- Distribution: We are seeking intermediaries (online and offline) and Destination Management Companies (DMCs) who are interested in contracting new bookable food itineraries .
A project focussing on the identification of luxury travel experiences featuring a curated collection of authentic and unique product and experiences across Britain. VisitBritain are in the process of mapping luxury accommodations, experiences, transport providers and services within 1-2 hours of key international gateways (airport/train stations/ports) to package bookable products.
- Product Development: We are seeking luxury tourism providers who are engaged with and/or interested in increasing international tourists.
- Distribution: We are seeking intermediaries (online and offline) and Destination Management Companies (DMCs) who are interested in contracting new luxury packages
A cross government initiative working with the rail industry (Rail Delivery Group (RDG) and Train Operating Companies (TOC)) and DCMS to develop new bookable products encouraging international visitors to explore Britain by rail. This project involves working with Destination Management Organisations and local attractions to find solutions for the ‘final mile’ which is the final journey from the station to the attraction. In addition, VisitBritain work closely with RDG to promote the BritRail pass through a distribution of International Sales Licensees (ISLs) globally and provide tools to support the industry including content, assets and training material
- Product Development: We are seeking Train Operating Companies, Destination Management Organisations and local attractions who want to assist in problem-solving final mile challenges with the aim of increasing international visitor numbers.
- Distribution: We are seeking international intermediaries (online and offline) and Destination Management Companies (DMCs) who are interested in promoting Britain by rail.
Coming soon in 2017/18 new bookable packaged products within 1-2 hours of an international gateways including airports, train stations and ports.